Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Foodie’s escapades............

Apart from exploring different parts of Delhi for food, I make it a point to explore the by lanes of all my destinations for the best of food. This post is dedicated to two of the best places to have food across the world.

Lahore
If I have to single out a street / place that I would want to have food at if I knew that it would be the last day of my life it would be the food street in Lahore. Situated in Gawalmandi, Lahore this street is the centre of traditional food. Open to traffic in the day time the street starts to metamorphose as the darkness begins to fall. Out come the tables, and the street-side pots and pans, and on go the flames. The good thing about this street is no matter where you are sitting ,you can order food from any of the 20 odd shops that line the street .Coming to the food - The mutton chop,seekh kebab, chicken tikka and Sardar di Macchi are a must have for starters. In the main course you should not miss the, nihari siri pai and biryani .The lassi (buttermilk) goes well with the food and is served in a huge (and I mean huge) glass and should not be missed at any cost. To end the meal there are deserts like gulab jamuns, gajjar halwas, cold milk with pistachio, kulfi faluda and ice creams to chose from. Whatever you order you will be left craving for more even if your stomach has already raised the white flag. And to top it all off there is the famous Lahore pan. The downside to this place however is the fact that there is not much that caters to the vegetarians. For most locals vegetarianism is something that is inconceivable…Pakistani's are devout carnivores. A gentleman I met on my trip had been on a diet in which he ate only red meat for 40 days to reduce weight J

Amritsar/Ambarsar
If there is one place in the world where vegetarians should flock to for the best North Indian food it is Amritsar. The dhabas here are out of the world. I haven’t had a better dal makhani ,shahi panner , sarson da saag , rajma chawal or a bhindi masala elsewhere. My strong recommendations are Bhrawan dhaba situated in the town hall and Kesar da dhaba at Chowk Passian.
But the buck does not stop here; Amritsar serves the best Kulcha chola in the world. You would never have had anything better in breakfast. They are fantabulous .One of the best places to have this delicious snack is at the Chungi Maqbool Road. You would think that Amritsar has a lot to offer , but wait I have not yet talked about the Jalebis and the Lassis.Just by mentioning them my mouth starts watering. The jalebis at Khubi Halwaai Katra Ahluwalia near Golden Temple are the best I have ever had( some people would say that the Jalebis at chandni chowk near Sheeshganj Gurudwara in Delhi are better but frankly nothing beats the Jalebis at Amritsar ). I can say the same for the Lassi at Gian Halwaai opp. Regent Cinema, Hall Gate. The size of the lassi glass in both Lahore and Amritsar can be daunting for a foreigner (Punjabis like me though are used to drinking a litre of lassi with their meal J)
If you are a non-vegetarian and thinking that Amritsar does not offer much to you, you are mistaken. No trip to Amritsar can be complete without a visit to Makhan's Fish at Lawrence Road. It serves the world famous Amritsari fish at its best. I went to this shop on each day of my stay in this city. Occasionally I used to be disappointed because the stock of fish would finish before I reached (and I used to reach the shop pretty early). If you like mutton chops then Amritsar is the place for you to be. A small shop near Adarsh Cinema serves Mutton chops and tikkas with hot kulchas.The only issue though is that the place is a bit shady and goes even more shadier in the night( with the sight of huge sardars drinking neat alcohol from their bottles while devouring the mutton chops).

Lahore and Amritsar are two places that one can visit just because of the quality of food served there. But the fact is that both places boast of great cultural heritage , monuments and religious temples that add to the charm of the places. The golden temple at Amritsar is one my favourite places in the world. The calmness and the serenity of the place takes one to another plane altogether. Lahore on the other hand boasts of forts/mosques that have amazing architecture and history attached to them.

All in all both Lahore and Amritsar are places that everyone should visit at least once in their lifetime

18 comments:

  1. u are a complete foodie :) how about joining the HOMP (highway on my plate ) team

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another gr8 one buddy...as I was reading I could smell nd taste it...haven't been 2 any of d places but will surely go 2 Amritsar after reading this...On d concept of roadies I m thinking to start a new chapter...THE FOODIES!!!:P...u'll b d Raghu of Foodies...again a gud blog...keep it up...god bless!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashita - I like exploring new destinations and food , so you might see a Highway on my plate - chawla style soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. great blog ! Made my mouth water, I have never been to Amritsar but this seems like my next destination ! keep up the gud work, Punjabis cant live widout good food !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prabhat - Thanks for the lovely comments.As for the roadies part , i might not be able to abuse others as blatantly :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karan - Amritsar is a place that everyone should visit atleast once in their lives.The city is serene and the food is out of the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved reading your post...especially the way you have described the cuisines on both sides of the border...and also have taken care of vegetarians (and I agree with you that Lahore won't treat veges good)...looking forward to visit these places sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kansal - Great that you liked the post.These places are the heart of the punjab on both sides of the border.Amritsar is a heaven for vegetarians , so i think you would enjoy going there

    ReplyDelete
  9. wht a foodie ya ... were you a travel show host or guide before ..something like "Zaike ka Safar" :D .........
    btw nice post again ..u are getting better at this day by day & post by post...maintained the tone pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Taniya - Have never been a travel show host.I love to travel to different places and experiment with food.Thanks for liking the post

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lahore and Amritsar are great places for a food-a-holic.... but they offer the same type of food for me....Punjabi versions of Mughlai food...A foodaholic myself I like variety....food brings culture to life and tells tales about the rich history a dish has endured in its creation...and being a person with a slight affection for our great-great- grandfathers... i like to try out different cuisines from different parts...italian, mexican, middle-east and contintental...however, my appetite goes away with Chinki-style food..

    You're getting better at this tough....I must agree with Taniya....great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fahad - I would like to disagree , Amritsar is a totally different experience for a foodie( as well as for a travel enthusiast) as compared to Lahore( especially for vegetarians). As for the different types of food , i love all types of food , but just happened to mention lahore and amritsar in this post( two of my fav foodie destinations apart from Delhi ) .
    But let me assure you my apetite for good food does not end with Indian food. Keep posted for more foodie rides :)
    Till then happy fooding :)
    PS: Bangalore offers amazing Italian food and Mumbai is great for continental food

    ReplyDelete
  13. pad ke bhook lagne lag gayi yaar...let me go and cook something :))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anji - Please cook some great south indian food and invite me over [:)]

    ReplyDelete
  15. this place is worth visiting

    neat alcohol + tikkas + huge sardars

    ReplyDelete
  16. exploring places is an amazin thing to do..specialy places wich are famous for food...i have my share of fun in delhi...bt ya still theres a lot to explore...n wl do dat once im free...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Varun - One day you will surely get to visit that place [:)]

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anindita - You hit the nail on the spot . There is a lot to explore.........

    ReplyDelete