Saturday, March 21, 2009

The foodie’s hometown….


When I am travelling to different parts of the world, my foodie instincts are at their peak. Right from my childhood I have been fascinated by food. I like experimenting with my food. From the Thukpa of Ladakh to the Gatte ki sabzi of Jaisalmer.From the Kulchas of Amritsar to the Kebabs of Lahore and the list goes on …..

But today I will limit myself to my foodie escapades in Delhi. Being born and brought up in Delhi, my connection with the food here is at another level. I have explored each and every by lane of Delhi for good food. Today I am sharing with you my personal favorites -

1. Karims – If you like mutton then Karim’s is the place to be .The mutton lovers swear by this eating joint situated near Jama Masjid. My personal favorites – Burra Kebab , Keema Nan and Phirni .The vegetarian fare is avoidable though

2. Khan Chacha – Situated in a small by lane of Khan Market, Khan Chacha dishes out the best Chicken and Mutton Rolls in Delhi. The paneer rolls are good too.

3. Chicken Planet –If you are looking for having a great chicken curry, then Chicken Planet situated at Filmistan serves is the place to be. The curry (a gravy dish prepared in a huge utensil) has optimum amount of spices and leaves you asking for more. The service is poor though

4. Big chill –Italian food never tasted better. Though the place dishes out a spicier version of Italian cusine, but that does not mean that the dishes are not lip smacking. Must Haves – “Arabiatta sauce Pastas” , “Oreo shakes” and “Mud Pie”

5. Bukhara – From Bill Clinton to Bill Gates, all the big guns of the world swear by the Kebabs and the Dal Bukhara served at arguably the best restaurant in Delhi( situated in the Maurya Sheraton hotel). Bukhara simply deserves 5 out of 5. Downside – Meal for 2 can leave a big hole in your pocket and the reservation is difficult to get on weekends

6. Dum Pukht – The less known cousin of Bukhara, serves Hyderabad cuisine prepared in a very unique style(It’s called “DUM” style of cooking) .I have been to this place countless number of times but I still yearn for the food served here. It serves arguably the best biryani in Delhi.

7. Paramjit Machhi Waala – Winters is the season to have fish in Delhi. During winters huge crowds assemble at a small shop in Moti Nagar ( West Delhi ).The Fish tikka at this place is out of the world. The downside – everything gets over by 10PM J

8. Dakshin – The best south Indian restaurant in Delhi (situated at the ITC hotel in Saket). The uppams are so fresh and hot that I loose count of them when relishing them with a Mangalorian Fish curry.The vegetarian fare is amazing too.The Dosas are great too.A must visit for any South Indian food lover

9. Nirula’s –If you feel like having an ice cream to the beat the hot summer in Delhi then nothing beats the Hot Chocolate Fudge at Nirula’s.The other ice cream flavors are great too.

10. Haldiram’s – If you are a hardcore vegetarian and you crave for chaats and poori sabzi , then don’t look further.Haldiram’s is the place for you to be in . The Raj Kachori is my personal favourite.

11. Momo’s point – If you are shopping in rajouri garden , a great place to have a snack is Momo’s point in the main market.The Momo’s are served hot and with an extremely chilly sauce ( and the stress is on extremely J) and go best with a good old Thumbs Up

12. Moti Mahal – The butter chicken originated from this restaurant situated in Daryaganj in Old Delhi. I have not had better butter chicken elsewhere. The downside – The rest of dishes can be a bit disappointing

13. Annapurna Sweets in Chandni Chowk –The Sondesh and Roshogullas here leave you asking for more even when you are conscious of that bulging belly J

14. Paranthe Waali Gali – Have you ever had Banana Parantha or a Rabri parantha? The combination sounds strange .but it won’t when you visit this small by lane in Chandni Chowk . The lassi and the aloo sabzi that they serve go well with the lip smacking paranthas.Arguably, the best paranthas in Delhi are served here.

15. Bhalle Papri at Bharat Nagar near Ashok Vihar Naala – This small shop serves arguably the best bhala papri in Delhi.

16.Shwarma corner in New Friends Colony - My four years of college were spent gorging on this delicious lebanese snack.No other snack comes close.My personal favorite.Downside - Do not order any other dish.Just stick to the good old Shwarma


Just limiting myself to the 16 places was difficult, but i did'nt want to flood everyone with the different foods of Delhi in one go.I will cover some of the rest in a future post. Till then make it a point to visit all of the places that I mentioned and you will not be disappointed.

Also i ill try to capture a similar list of my favorite food items from across the world. Till then happy fooding J……………

PS: Do mention your favorite food hangouts in Delhi too :)

27 comments:

  1. hey saurav...among all ur blogs this 1 is my fav. 1...i m a foodie too...nd I travelled 2 many places just 2 eat d food of dat place...well among all dese u missed some of d places...1 of dem is my personal fav.: Parathe waali dukaan in Green Park...d variety, size nd taste is awesum...I think u'll agree on that...aur mooh mein paani bhi aa gaya hoga...:)...another place is UPC ki chaat...Keventers in CP...d list is soo long...In delhi every gali has something famous...RKP where I lived most of my life...ki sabse famous jagah is supreme bakery in sector-8...I miss Delhi yaar...Delhi rocks!!!:)...thanks 4 reminding of dese fond memories...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chintu - Delhi has so many varietiies of food that i thought i will cover the first 15 places that come to my mind.The UPC ki chaat and Keventers in CP will surely find a place in my second list.And yes , just thinking about these places i miss Delhi

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first comment on any of your blogs, and not on special request ;) but cudnt resist with all the food discussion :P
    My faves -
    1. Kachori subzi - Chandni Chowk, one of the galis..dont kno which one..bt really yum...and nice n spicy :)
    2. Tikki - BTW (aka Bittoo Tikki Wala) .. yumness personified :)
    3. Flavors - Italian food.. lovely ambience and nice thin crust pizzas.. truly italian.. but i agree, big chill is the bestest :P
    4. Coffee @ Costa - better than baristas etc.. and the servings cud get huger.. one cup can last u a 2hr conversation..tho this is not specific to delhi, costas are elsewhere too..
    5. Speaking of Cheesecakes (& Muffins - Coffee Beans and Tea Leaves serves the sexiest cheesecakes ever! they are sexiness foodified :D
    6. Chacha ke chhole bhature at Kamala Nagar - even the chhola masala is sold..and anyone can make yum chholas wid dat!
    7. Chaap from this small dhaba in Rajouri - really really yum :) esp wid roomali roti
    8. Ram fruit ice cream - again rajouri, some 50 yr old shop..bt serves the bestest fruit ice cream in delhi.. :P
    9. Kulfi Faluda - Bengali - South Ex - you just have to have it ;)
    10. Homemade dark chocolates wid nuts - :) at this place run by parsi uncle aunty, on one of the radials of CP, i dont remember the name.. something like "the oriental mart", but the chocolats are to die for!

    I have written so much, could have written my own blog on this ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. awwwssoommee.... i wish we had covered some of these on our foodie outing that Sunday :) isnt no. 13 in CR Park??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anupam - The next time i am in Delhi , I will give you a buzz and we will try to cover as many places as we can in this list.Annapurna has a branch in CR park too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Punya - Your list is amazing and includes 2 places that i havent been to - Chacha chole bhature in Kamla Nagar and Flavors , but they are on my radar now.Happy fooding , Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aha..this post is seriously yummy Dude! Being a vegetarian my list differs a lot..but I can still swear I can list a 100 places in delhi, I would love to have food at..some of my favs are natraj k bhalle at CC, sizzelerz at Golas..the veg sandwitch at Golden Feista in LN, the jalebi at Bikanerwala..and sabse imp..road side kalla khata..baraf ka gola(lajpat nagar...oh god y did i read ur article abhi..its 3 hours to go till lunch!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shuchi - One of my personal favorite vegetarian snacks are the matar kulcha @ bikanerwaala . THe Imarti at haldirams rocks too :).
    As for bhalle at Natraj , great that you brought them up , they are amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reminds me of Delhi sitting here in the US ! There is no comparison of the food in Delhi, please keep on addng to the list !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karan - If you were reminded of Delhi sitting in US , my post is a success ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a DELICIOUS post...Loved it!!! Would be awesome if you could add some more places for the vegetarians on the planet...After all, we also feel hungry :P !!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Point taken , Will come up with a list exclusive for vegetarians

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey!
    can yu tell me the name of the continental breakfast restaurant in saket?
    i just cant remember

    TIA

    ReplyDelete
  14. lovely post by the way...
    i love big chill too
    havent been to the other restaurants :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. a truely mouth watering blog ... how about mentioning nizam's kathi rolls at c.p. ??and anjalika's cakes and pastries at karol bagh

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ashita - I prefer khan chacha's rolls to Nizam's but that does not take anything away from Nizam's.Nizam's is great too especially the kali mirch chicken roll.Anjalika reminds me of my school days . Remember we used to go there after our last exam
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yash - Areyou referring to the Baywatch restaurant in sheraton hotels ?
    I hope that you go to all the other places mentioned in the list and enjoy the food :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. great list...delhi ki yaad aa rahi hai...few of the others...gianis for ice creams, jalebiwala in dareeba for jalebis, shravana bhawan for the south indian fare, Deez in def col for the biryanis, chnagezi chicken in daryaganj and many more...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aloo Chat @ Amar Colony Market

    Nizam's Kathi Roll @ Connaught Place in the backyard of Plaza Cinema - Inner Circle

    Milk Shakes @ Cavenders - CP

    Wenger's Pastry Shop - CP

    HAVE MORE - Pandara Road

    Chache de Kulche Chhole @ West Patel Nagar Market

    and the list goes on

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pandey - My fellow foodie welcome to the den. The jalebis and giani's faludas are awesome for sure.As for the biryani's and Changezi chicken my choices are different :) but that doesnt take anything away from Deez or the Daryaganj's Changezi chicken corner

    ReplyDelete
  22. Varun - I have not had the Aloo chat @ Amar colony .Something that i have noted in my to dos list when i go to Delhi next.I remember gorging on Wenger's mutton patties and then getting them down the system by having a shake at Cavenders.Good old days :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Some comments that i got on facebook -

    Arjun - Ohhhh Delhi ka Kahana I misss for sure ..!!! What about Gaini's & Shakti Nagar Kochori walaa , Prem De Hatti ,Ashok Meat wala bruv ....!!!

    Anandita - this made me feel so nostalgic saurav...n cravin for delhi...well i dont think u hav missed out on nythin worth mentionin...well next time wen i go to delhi n if u ther...u gonna take me to thez places..missin delhi...

    Sakshi - Dude, this reminded me of Delhi, so much.. I don't know why u missed out chat at Bikanerwala, I just loved the snacks over there.. Also, u might want to add Roshan ki kulfi, Karol Bagh. Nevertheless, thanks for putting this list together ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. what a mouth watering post! nice guide for a foodie.... apart from the listed ,one can also add Nathu's, Bengali Market...Bhel Puri, South Ext...Gulati and Pindi,Pandara Road....Sagar Ratna,Def Col...Mochas ..and Baskin Robbins

    ReplyDelete
  25. Taniya - Thanks for ading your favourites to the list

    ReplyDelete