Saturday, March 7, 2009

On the top of the world!!!!!







I was dumbstruck!!!!
For a moment I thought I was on another planet. It was eerie!!!!

In the last 4 hours I had experienced chilly winds, snowfall, rainfall, dust storms and the excess heat of the desert.
It was my journey through the highest motorable pass (at 18380 ft) in the world – Khardungla in Ladakh
Ladakh has a moon like landscape. I think it is the closest one can get that to being on the moon. Buddhist chants fill the airs of this land which surprisingly has been devoid of terrorism despite being so close to the Pakistan border.

You will find motorists from all around the world with their Harleys trying to scale the highest peaks of the Himalayas. The landscape is filled with small villages and each one having its own monastery, unique in architecture and having a different story to tell.Budhism and Hinduism almost intermingle as you find idols of the Buddha and Hindu deities inside these magnificent structures .If you are fortunate enough you might even spot a snow leopards feeding on the mountain goats on these high peaks near the monasteries.

The people of Ladakh add to the beauty of the place. The locals are very friendly and helpful. The Tibetan food is healthy and keeps you in good shape in these almost harsh and extreme conditions. The capital – Leh is essentially cut off from the rest of the world for 6 months in the winters and the food supplies have to be stored in the summers to brace for the harsh winters.
No trip to Ladakh can be complete without a visit to one of the most beautiful place in the world in my view. Around 200 kms from Leh surrounded by huge mountains on all sides, the Pangong Tso Lake sits on the border of India and China. The first view of the lake takes your breath away. The water is ice cold and the rapids touch your feet, as if angels welcoming you to heaven. Even after hours and hours I did not want to go away from this heaven on earth .
Though the beauty of Pangong cannot be compared, the spectacle of Nubra is not far behind. It is one of the very few cold deserts on earth. The two humped camels roam in these cold deserts .The tributaries of Indus flow through the deserts and their muddy waters give you an illusion where you can’t differentiate between the river and the desert. The snow capped mountains add to the wonder of the place. The desert, river, mountains in the same place !!!! I will leave the rest to your imagination
Driving in our bikes we felt like flying on the mountains. We saw small children near the monasteries preparing to become monks, old ladies trying to sell vegetables and earn their livelihood in this harsh terrain, army trucks going towards the border posts of Kargil and Drass and farmers trying to grow something in the harsh terrain
On more than one occasion the beauty of the place overwhelmed me. I used to just sit for hours and tried to soak in the beauty of that place. Words lost relevance. I used to be speechless!!!
I was on the top of the world both figuratively and literally!!!!

21 comments:

  1. the feeling in ladhakh is altogether different to any other trips one gets a chance . the barren beauty is breathtaking , and the calmness that prevails with enchantments is too much soothing.
    anyways didnt u get a chance to go to the army gurudwara , it has a great story behind it .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice...would definitely go to ladakh one day

    ReplyDelete
  3. this short post really makes readers asking for more especially those who have not yet got the chance to visit this beautifull place... the flow and ending of this blog is superb which only makes me visualize all the places u have visited ( a quality which is present in all ur writings)....hope to read more abt ladhak in ur next posts...

    ReplyDelete
  4. spectacular account given by you of the ever beautiful ladakh....your expressions go very well with the description... i had a chance to see the pics of your trip as well .. so i know well wht you talking abt here.(hope this is the same trip)..great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ashita - I went to the gurudwara. The place was so serene and calm . I saw an armyman singing bhajans , which was an amazing sight . The history behind the gurudwara - Guru Nanak Ji changing the mindset of a monster that used to traumatize the village is etched in the stone which has Guru Nanak ji's imprints

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anji - I think everyone should go to Ladakh once in their lifetime . Its a mecca for travel enthusiasts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shuchi - Going there and seing it for yourself wil be even more amazing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aditi - I will keep your request in mind and write more about Ladakh in one of my future posts

    ReplyDelete
  10. Taniya - Thanks for your appreciation.Its the same trip

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome posts, dude! excellent flow of expression..Ur description of ladakh and lahore increases my desire to visit these places..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Richa - Thanks for the encouragement . I am not sure if any one of us will visit lahore anytime soon but you should definitely visit ladakh.Lets plan a trip soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. As, whenever I think of a trip to somewhere, the place in my mind is Ladakh. I have been thinking about this trip since the very beginning of my young age. And, now this desire is getting stronger and stronger after reading your blog. Seriously speaking, you have got that "Parakhi Nazar". Nicely articulated. Good job !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Leela - I think you must go to ladakh and that too soon :) . If there is any heaven on earth this is it . I feel obliged that yoour desire to go to ladakh has grown after reading my post

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really amazing. The pictures are really lovely too, especially the one with the view of the mountains from the top. I know who to take as a guide with me when I do visit this place :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fidodido /Srabasti :) - Thanks a lot for the comments on the post and the pictures . Don't worry , i would be your guide in ladakh :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. dude... this place is so amazing it deserves more than a small blog...maybe a series...what say?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pandey - I think you are right .Wait for more on the den :)

    ReplyDelete