Sunday, February 1, 2009

Rising from the ashes


I had never been that close to death before that fateful day when I found myself falling from a 1000 ft mountain.
This was not the first time I was paragliding (most people who have not actually flown before think that paragliding is a sport of only excitement, adventure and thrill. I would want to tell you that it is as much a sport of patience (there are days when you will trek for hours and hours (with a load of 25kgs on your back) but you will not get favourable conditions to fly. The sport also teaches you how to react in difficult conditions and to respect nature. People say that this is the closest to feeling like a bird)
I had flown from a 300 ft hill before , but that was a year ago , and the winds were not that strong.The monster that I was facing on this day is known as the Tower Hill. It stands at about 1000 ft in a town called Kamshet, 40 kms from Pune.I had 5 other pilots with me, most of them sharing similar flying experience and we were guided by the paragliding school - XXXX.
XXX - my instructor showed me the landing area - a 100 m stretch in a farm about a km away. There were electric lines at both sides of that stretch and it was pertinent for us to avoid them to avoid being electrocuted. We discussed the flight plan (the regular 8 turns to gain height, keeping away from rotors (high speed areas on the leeward side of the mountain) and the approach to landing).I cleared the lines of my glider , put on my harness , checked my radio, adjusted myself according to the wind direction and ran full steam towards the edge of the mountain.
I got into my seat and got an instruction on the radio to keep away from the hill and the pilots flying directly above me. But the conversation did not last long. 15 seconds into my flight my radio went off. It was as if i had been thrown into the cage of a monster (the mountain) handcuffed (no radio instructions).I went numb , the winds were strong , taking me towards the mountain.I was blank; I did not know what was happening. I forgot the entire flight plan. I shouted at my radio for a few minutes and then lost hope.I realised how close I was to death.
I had to remain calm; I had to regain control of my senses. It was just not my life but the life of two other pilots which was at stake . A mid air collision at 1000ft would have meant certain death.Just as I was about to bump into the imposing mountain a sudden sense of strength and vision got into me. I began to think clearer. I pulled my right brake down and started to move away from the mountain .I had made a decision to just go for landing without doing the regular 8 turns(which would have certainly meant mid -air collision). But that decision would not be without risk .It would mean that i would not have sufficient height (which could mean crashing onto the rocks of the mountain or a tree on its slope).
The ground started to come closer and closer and the landing area was still far away. It felt as if the slope of the mountain was opening its mouth to engulf me. Sweat dripped from my forehead. It was now or never !!
I caught some wind by moving my glider towards the right and ascended a bit. I was now nearer to flat ground. In all this commotion I had forgotten about the electric lines. Before I could realize I was heading straight towards them. I had to pull the brakes immediately .But that would mean landing on a big flat rock with thorny bushes. The decision was made .Brakes – The full gung ho!!.I landed on one foot, fell on the rock, but miraculously balanced my body with my hands .My glider fell on the thorny bushes.
WHOA - I had made it to ground - with just a few scratches on my leg. I was the happiest and the angriest person on this earth.I was angry at the Paragliding School - How could they keep faulty equipment with them in an adventure sport?
But before I could think much , tragedy struck .One of my co - pilots (a senior executive with Vodafone) who took off after me collided into the mountain .It was ridiculous , the instructor should have stopped the flights after knowing what had happened with my radio even though I scrapped through without any injury .
It was not the radio malfunction that led to this accident - just the panic and numbness at that height that led to the pilot not following the instructions on the radio and crashing into the mountain. The son of that pilot (just 14 yrs old) was with me near the landing area when this ghastly incident happened.
All of us feared for his life.We could see the red glider about 800ft on the hill, with no movement of the pilot. I decided to climb the hill to save his life. I was tired, bruised, angry, and blank. But I could not help myself from climbing that Monster. It was pure adrenaline that carried me through.
On hindsight I can say that climbing that hill without a rope / harness was even tougher than managing to land my glider moments earlier. There were no pathways, the hill was steep and we did not know the exact location of the injured pilot. Most importantly - we did not have water. The bushes of wild mountain were very thorny and itchy. Half way up the mountain I was shouting and pumping myself to climb further. I was panting and was badly bruised. My legs were hurting. The itch was worse. It was one of the worst feelings that I have ever had.
Finally after 2 hours of frantic search we managed to locate the injured pilot (who was holding his leg and crying in pain). His leg was broken and his right thigh had been ruptured. We comforted him, put stems around his leg and tied it with a cloth. Help arrived soon in the form of 4 other localites, fellow pilots and an ambulance.
I removed my shirt, poured water all over my bruises and went onto the area from where I had jumped .I was not angry anymore. I was calm; I had never thought that I could do what I had done today. I was happy with myself. Not only was I alive, so were the two other pilots that were flying when I took off from the mountain and the pilot who had crashed into the mountain. It was a time of reflection.
One of the thoughts that came to my mind when I was sitting there alone was to share the experience that i had had today with the world , and what better place to do so than the WOLVERINES DEN


73 comments:

  1. Good, detailed attempt. Nicely structured.

    You definitely have the best combination of presence of mind and strength..

    Keep up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered why u were you prevaricative in telling the detail, and now i no longer wonder. :) It was just like reading a novel. Your description took me to the place of incident and all my memories of the day i did my solo flight in ur absence were dredged up. All i can say is that this phoenix's story not only resides in this Wolverine's Den but in memories of all the readers for a long time. Keep this den engaged. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shilpa - THe wolverine thanks you for the encouragement
    ANd more so for the compliment

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vips - I feel great that you finally managed to read a novel :)
    And i feel happy that you recollected your paragliding days
    I will surely keep the den engaged if i have fellow wolverines like you visiting my den

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice boss.. yours adventure's list seems to be never ending..
    good show.. keep rocking!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. well it was a pulse raiser kind of expereince. keep it up n hey tak care of ur self also....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ninja - The adventures shall never end :).I still remember our rafting experience together

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mohit - Thanks a lot brother.Its good that you enjoyed reading the blog . Be posted for more

    ReplyDelete
  9. To read it is so nerve racking, to live it must have been truly dreadful. I am glad you got out of it safe and sound and managed to save another one too!! good work dude!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oye...I was the first person to read your blog and comment...where is my comment??? :( ....where where??? How can u do this to me?

    Koi naa....Good start as a blogger...

    I have forgotten what I had written before...

    Well, adrenaline at the cost of life is not worth it...You have been some real bad experience...The school has also done a real bad job with faulty equipment. But in the end, the ordeal ended without much harm.

    I hope that you and everyone else is doing fine.

    I am looking forward for more post from you. Keep blogging.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  11. stay alive man...we need you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. paragliding is like surrendering your self to the nature and let its force govern you.Its so peaceful and calming up there ,you are meditating and alive to see the beauty simultaneously.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aman - priveledged to have your comment. The wolverine will be their to build the financial models always ;), even if they are less adventurous to build :) (but no less risky)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ajay - You described paragliding very well .It is indeed very peaceful up there :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anjana- Got goosebumps while reading your story...thank god for your presence of mind..nice description of your adventure..i could actually visialize and live the adventure while reading

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anju - Thanks for the encouragement . The Wolverine is flattered . The story gave me gossebumps in reality too

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Aman...come on...ur comment is also driven by business requirements :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kansal - Business is always important :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Chawla, now I know why you were after my life to read this :)

    I am sure you would have come out of this experience being more in touch with yourself and what we all know as LIFE.


    Cheers,
    Prashant Gahlot

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. First of all.. a big thumbs down to 'Temple pilots'... i hope the SE and his son are doing fine ...and Kudos to a thrilling adventure like this...such a movie like elicitation creates sufficient excitement and has its dramatic moments from time to time ..(My fav : the electric lines coming in the end...good tht u escaped)
    take care and keep it action packed !

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am completely speechless yaar. While reading your blog i could imagine all those moments went through and even the moments we spent together in life. I might have failed this test of life which you passed through your acumen. I am thankful to the almighty that you are safe. Cannot afford to lose you pal!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Prashant - My perspective towards life changed after this incident.I wanted to do more for my NGO , my friends and my family

    ReplyDelete
  24. Taniya - The wolverine is flattered to have you at his den.I think Temple Pilots should not take al the blame.Sometimes these incidents happen.I will take care as always and keep you posted on my new adventures

    ReplyDelete
  25. Jitesh - You gave me the best compliment yet.I don't know if i deserve it.I am blessed to have a friend like you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  27. beautifully portrayed and neatly tied together...your description sounds more enthralling than the actual series of events...well thats the kind of magic only a good writer can create.. ;)

    the most captivating part to ME was..when u returned to the very place from where you took your flight..that pang of a moment..when u realized the importance of all those people u have/had been with in ur life, the emotions which were flowing in you..

    u have actually inspired me 2 start writing...

    proud of u man...keep blogging n u'll be a pro in no time.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Akshay - What can i say :). I am blushing

    ReplyDelete
  29. hey hey ..!!! i deserve a better comment dan dis...specially from a writer of your calibre ;)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think you would make a good blogger yourself. You very rightly captured what i was going through when i went to the place from where i had taken off.
    Those were the exact emotions that i was going through.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Well... enough has already been said and written about your caliber to write a good blog , but must say it is a well crafted piece of work which has the capability to transport the readers imagination , to visualize the event ... hatz of.
    The best part was the surge to help others (even when you had gone through a… .umm lets say ……. a eventful flight )
    Keep up the good work......waiting to read more on your blog
    ashita arora

    ReplyDelete
  32. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Paaji!!you certainly have got a calm mind on your shoulders.if i were at your place i don't think i would have managed to stay alive & if so i certainly would have killed the instructer for such a blunder!!i appreciate your each n every effort!! cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Himanshu - I think that the instructor himself was bamboozled with all of this commotion.In the end i would say certain things are meant to happen.Its how you react to them.I have not yet told that i continued to paraglide for another few days after this incident.I had lost my anger and made sure that the next few days of paragliding were enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  35. but not under the same instructor:)isn't it??

    ReplyDelete
  36. The instructor was so shocked that he did not come to the site for a few days

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ashita - I hope i managed to take all of you to the flight with me. But let me tell you paragliding is a sport that gives you a lot of mental peace apart from the adrenaline rush.
    No sport is without risks and paragliding has its own.
    My intention was not to discourage anyone from pursuing paragliding.I think its a beautiful sport that should be taken up by people looking to connect more within their own self and with nature.It also teaches you the importance of concentration,confidence and good communication

    ReplyDelete
  38. Well written, amazing description of the situation...

    I envy you for not taking me with you...........
    But atleast one of us experienced it...

    ReplyDelete
  39. Lavneesh - I am planning to paraglide from the Himalyas this summer . Are you game?

    ReplyDelete
  40. I am speechless !!! Bhaiya dhyan rakho apna.....
    So next paragliding kab ker reha hai?

    ReplyDelete
  41. Vivek - I am planning to go to Himachal (Biling) this summer. I have heard that flying in himalyas is something that takes you to another dimension.The thermals there take you to over 10000 ft

    ReplyDelete
  42. Excellent blog, well written, kept me engrossed till the very end , once I started reading it I could visualize the emotion you were going through !

    ReplyDelete
  43. So, Chawla the perfectionist had a miraculous escape...thanks to almighty...

    People have discussed various aspects of this blog (as in your writing skills, poor equipment of school management, etc) but the thing I liked most is your confident approach while under pressure with nothing going your way (the equipment was faulty and you could not communicate with people on the ground)...in my eyes, this is one quality that separates boys from men and as they say

    Character is not made in a situation, it is exibhited in one.

    You definitely exibhited tremendous courage and strength with your, this adventure and I am sure online readers are eagerly awaiting to hear your next adventure.

    All d best fr next time and check the equipment before starting out, we definitely dont want you to get hurt at the cost of adventure...

    Cheers
    Inder Preet

    ReplyDelete
  44. Karan - Thanks for the compliments. All of you have encouraged me to write more

    ReplyDelete
  45. Inder - Thanks for the praise , though i don't see myself worthy of it . All i can say is that what i did was the best possible in that situation.
    I checked my radio before this flight as well, and i would advice everyone to do the same.But i would say that one should not panic in case of a tough situation and just try to do his/her best to coime out of it and help others if possible.If you can keep a positive outlook in a tough situation , more than half the battle is won!!!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  46. The way u described each moment really made me visualize all the happenings...very well written...something which evryones who read this blog agrees to....it truly seems that u r having so mch adventure in ur life...and the way u have been managing so many diff things in life...job, sports,sparsh really makes one think wat life shld be like to make it fulfilling. Especially whn one think abt others beyond oneself..something u very much displayed in the above incident by helping ur instructor.Its a pleasure to know people like u... keep writing more blogs and make others be aware of all the adventures....

    ReplyDelete
  47. Aditi - Am flattered to see your scribbles on my den . I don't know if i am able to lve my life to the fullest but one think that i do is to follow my heart and do stuff which give me happiness.
    I always feel if you are able to help others in life , your purpose in life is met.
    It was a pleasure knowing you through Sparsh and hope we do well for the upliftment of others in the future too

    ReplyDelete
  48. M sure this entire experience must have been like living one complete life in few minutes.......but the good part is that it made u do smething that u had never done........smething u'll alwayz b proud of. Hats off to u for the way u've written. While reading I felt like i was watching the entire episode :).

    ReplyDelete
  49. Man what 2 say...I was just not reading this...I felt it...As if I was there watching u...the way u have described the whole thing...First u were just worried bout urself...life gave u a chance (offcourse that was bcoz of ur inner strength and presence of mind)...but after that what u did was something extraordinary...i dont have words...thinking bout others in such a condition u were in...hats off...I know most people would not have done that...its the perfect title: "Rising from d ashes"...keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Aakash - Welcome to the den . At that time , i felt utmost determination, concentration and the will to survive and help others do the same . It was something that i have not felt before.
    I think am not a great writer , just managed to scribble some thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  51. Chintu - thanks for your praise , wat can i say ,i am actually humbled by that experience , it showed me how easily you can lose your life. i taught me that life is precious , you need to pull your socks and do a much in life and as good in life as you can

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hey Saurav...
    its quite dramatic and catchy blog I have ever seen. Moreover, it shows your presence of mind and confidence in yourself. Thank god, you are not self-centered and eventually, you saved the lives.
    The blog is well polished as well. Good :)

    ReplyDelete
  53. Leela - thanks for your comments . Its quite a long blog post and if i have been able to make it easy to read and comprehend then i have achieved something :)

    ReplyDelete
  54. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  55. I must say, it is a very well written account. You were able to take the reader on a flight of your own.

    Hope to see more such posts in the future.
    Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Awesome Saurav! I am moved. Man, you showed real courage, patience, calmness and presense of mind which helped you to come out of this traumatic (at the same time quite thrilling) experience. You took some really split second decisions which enabled you to live the whole ordeal. I liked the post. Its well composed. Take care of yourself and I am looking forward for new posts from you.

    Anubhav

    ReplyDelete
  57. Sid - Its been a long time since i posted my first blog post .I have been very busy tha last few weeks, but giving the support you guys have given me would surely come out with my next post soon

    ReplyDelete
  58. Kansal - Coming from you i am honored , I am encouraged to rite more :)

    ReplyDelete
  59. Saurav-I could actually visualise the events you desribed.Great work!!!You make the reader, read ur blog more than once!!Your writing skills are just too good.Can picturise what exacltly you want to communicate.Well... Paragliding this time,was indeed a thrilling experience for you and I'm glad that you landed safe.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Swatika - i am glad that u read my post more than once . I am humbled by your comments

    ReplyDelete
  61. I don't think any reader can visualise it better than me as i had the advantage of being in the vicinity but it took me back to talegaon when i read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  62. Mr guglani - i still remember that place . The dhabas there were amazing , simply amazing

    ReplyDelete
  63. I can imagine the adrenaline running over...Wish the co-pilot is in good shape now. You dont look but you are BRAVE ;)

    ReplyDelete
  64. Neha - Good to see you in the Den . Bravery is a virtue that should be exhibited when the need demands it , and not something that one should be conscious of :)

    ReplyDelete
  65. I loved the way you described every part during para gliding. I could visualize all the action in front of my eyes. It sure was an act of bravery....but as they say "Adventure is the name of the game". So, keep it up and enjoy life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  66. Fatima!!!!
    Thanks for your lovely comment :)
    I miss those days in lahore spent with you guys

    ReplyDelete
  67. Jaku Mare Sayiyan... Bacha Sake Na Koi :)

    ReplyDelete
  68. Dilip - That was the funniest comment i have got :).

    ReplyDelete
  69. Well u dont know me... I felt like that i m reading a fiction where you are a Hero. Hats off to ur bravery,On Dicovery channnel one frequently watches such episodes but Indians are more protective and lesser energetic usually... More than that its been beautifully written that let me also live the moment and a Desire arises ... Go For It..... Best of luck foe future and thank God that let u give an opprtunity to be a Hero....:)

    ReplyDelete
  70. Hi Priyanka - Welcome to my den . Thanks for your lovely comments. I think the indian mindset is changing . We are not second to anyone.
    The best thing is that i was able to help you arise a desire for something that you would want to do. That gives me great pleasure.
    I dont know about being a hero but yes i will surely want to do things that my heart desires

    ReplyDelete
  71. Reading this post was really like watching a thriller series where u are looking forward to every next moment.. But the best part was ur never die spirit that u exhibited.. Keep up the spirit alive for ever n ever...

    ReplyDelete
  72. Payal - Good to see you here in my den.Living these moments were like being in a fictional novel where you are the hero :)

    ReplyDelete